Friday, April 24, 2009

Groceries...again!

Ok I really do other things besides grocery shop. REALLY I DO! But this last week at Albertsons was a fun sale. The boys were so excited to set up the groceries and take a picture and now they INSIST we put it on the blog. So sorry everyone..here is another grocery extravaganza.



In this grocery trip we purchased the following...
5 taco sauce
5 taco shells
10 frozen peas
5 cookie mixes
4 canisters of kool-aid
11 biscuits in a can
4 boxes of popcorn
6 cans of spaghetti sauce
8 boxes of muffin mixes
10 zone bars
5 warm delights
6 boxes of pasta salad
4 cans of PAM

Spent: $75
Saved: $175

I have been asked if doing the coupon thing is "worth it." I have to say that it is. I don't purchase every item that is a "five star deal." I only purchase items that we use in our menu. We have spaghetti almost weekly so investing in a lot of pasta and sauce saves me a lot. I'm not going to purchase Pop tarts or Hamburger Helper if nobody will eat them! --who would anyway! I am now trying to focus on ingredients versus boxes of meals. Its a different mindset then purchasing just what I use for the week. It took about 3 months before I was set in my pantry/fridge/freezer to support my main menus. It was then that it was most difficult to adjust and I really doubted that the whole game was worth it. But now when I run out of ketchup, mayo, salt, pepper, pasta, salad dressing etc, I just go to my pantry and grab another bottle of .18 salad dressing instead of running to the store and paying 3.50 for the same bottle.
Anyway, just my two bits.

I just finished a book called the Tightwad Gazette (there is also a website) that talks alot about using items to the best of its ability. To cut back on items where you can..such as only using enough dishwasher soap that is needed etc. It gave a lot of good ideas. It did go a little overboard in areas...areas I'm not yet ready to be frugal at (dumpster diving etc.) but overall I recommend it. It said that it costs about .45 an hour to run the dryer...so for the next month or two we are going to put that to the test by hanging clothes outside and running the dryer for as little as possible.

Anyway..funny quote I heard today. "Why is it that the woman is given the urge, desire and creativeness to rearrange the furniture but gave man the strength to move it?" Men and women have different roles, both equal, both important. Happy day.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Good Job on the groceries! I haven't really shopped the ads for a couple months since we needed to use what we already have. But I did enjoy this week's Albertson's sale. It was fun to get so much for so little. It's such a rush!

Nate and Sum said...

First off... Awesome job Cory on Graduating!
Great job on the deals. I need to get over there.

keri said...

I went to this sale on Wed. I am thinking of going back it was such a fun and good one.

Kendra said...

I like your grocery posts! I also like the philosophy of less food-in-a-box (although Tuesday nights may be the exception at our house!)