Friday, April 10, 2009

You guessed it.....the grocery store diary

Once again I ventured into the insane kingdom of Albertsons. Insane it putting it mildly. I remember now why I prefer to shop at 6am. Way to many people, to much stuff out of stock and cashiers that do not know me.

Today here is some that we purchased:
22 Lipton rice side dishes
6 boxes of family size cereal
4 large boxes of jello
4 packages of marshmallows
4 cream cheese
3 packages of frozen peas
12 boxes of Lipton onion soup mix
2 canisters of kool aid
4 packages of bacon
2 boxes of granola bars
3 32 oz. containers of butter spread
2 large hams
1 large roast

Total spent: 73.28
Total saved: 187.17


This past weekend during conference I took the time to clean out my coupons and to do some organizing. In the past, I would place my coupons in the file and then gather what I needed when I needed it. I have quite a few occasions of "wait ! I have a coupon for that at home!"...so now I am making the jump to binder. . I have my coupons stored in filing boxes, and I have rarely tossed any ads. You can imagine how many needed to be thrown out. My red recycle box was SPILLING over.
So, then I began by laying out the ad pages on top of each other and cutting out the stacks coupons. This took FOREVER. I only did this for the last month of coupons. I then placed them in little baseball card holder pages (about $6 at walmart for 32 pages) and I tried to organize them by store isle..aka all the baking in one section, chips and cookies in another section etc. I'll be refining this soon I'm sure. However, it was so nice to go to the store and to flip through the binder while I was looking at the clearance isle. To celebrate I went to the new Walmart and was able to purchase 16 packages of Mentos gum, 10 vitamin waters, 12 packages of Halls throat drops, 8 air wisps, 7 bottles of salad dressing, ..all for $16. That was fun.




I feel like such a GEEK!!!

6 comments:

keri said...

That is actually how my friend does hers and I have been meaning to do it but just haven't taken the time but like you there have been MANY times I was at a store with the coupons at home. I love it when you post your deals Thanks

Shan Reid said...

I'm considering taking the dive into couponing... need to get my subscription to the Sunday paper! Love all of the the details you post!

Shane and Brandi said...

Aren't we all geeks? Great job on the savings!

katydid said...

You surpassed me long ago. I'm so proud of your coupon genius!

katydid said...

Now here's a challenge for you... figure out what you can't eat or use if it has wheat or dairy in it. (citrus as well, but that's fairly easy.)
Argh! No wonder my couponing has taken a back seat.

Chris and Kathy Hurst said...

Bonita,
Thanks for the idea! I'm going to organize mine that way!!!!
Kathy Hurst