Friday, May 7, 2010

The trapezoid delema.

My sisters "lovingly" refer to me as "crafty." So when a few months ago a good friend of mine gave me a handmade washcloth. I loved it! And I wanted to make some too. How hard can it be? right?







-this is the one my friend gave me. See how nice and squarish it is!!

My mom can crochet one of these babies in just an hour or so. They are my favorite washcloths and I really wanted to make some myself. I am not an expert crochet expert, but I can chain, single chain and double chain. What else would I possibly need to know???? So, I set out to find a simple pattern. My first attempt went fairly well.














It was recognizable as a square washcloth and I was feeling pretty good about myself. :-D Pin a badge on me! Well..maybe not to fast with that pin. My second washcloth and several afterwards were..well..not exactly square.













In fact, I would classify them as a trapezoid but that would be a disservice to the adjacent angels theorem for trapezoids. With my ego freshly popped, I set out to try again...and again...and again...and again.













All of them were lacking the proper 90* angles and straight edges to have it look "squarish."














I attempted the circle washcloths and they turned out..ok...but it was the square ones that were the desire of my heart.














I thought about them incessantly, looked up patterns for hours.














After many many many more tries, I have finally made a couple that were acceptable, although still not square.



























Needless to say, I have not given any as a gift--who would want a trapezoid washcloth anyway???? Maybe my sisters??? :-D

6 comments:

Shane and Brandi said...

You weren't supposed to show mine. They are not square either. Believe me it is way hard to make them even squarish! LOL

Kendra said...

All those washcloths need is a little love. I think they are fabulous and I'm proud of you :}

Jeannetta said...

Too funny! I love them, trapezoid and all! Besides, maybe the "Fun Shapes" will encourage the children to help with the dishes :D

Echolaylee said...

I think you are awesome! I know how hard this it. I think if a washcloth is made to wash yucky stuff, then it doesn't matter what shape it is. It will do the job!

katydid said...

Okay everyone, don't let her fool you. She really is crafty. She's our Martha Stewart in the family. It's awful, really. I mean - how do you compete with presents?? She cranks out a lovely prima donna embroidery for a family member while my gift is a book they already read. It's sad.
So I'm not feeling bad for you, Bta! You'll have this mastered overnight. Like everything else. *sigh* so not fair. (insert pouty face)

:D Love ya sis!!!

katydid said...

PS: Yes, give me all the practice washcloths. I'll let you know when it hits perfection and you can give them to others at that point. :D Yeah!!