Sunday, June 6, 2010

Weekend away

For Memorial Day we were suppose to have a blast at my sister's house with her kids. The guys were going to take the boys hiking while Katy and I went to a mom's retreat.

Well, Luke came down with strep throat just before we were suppose to go. So...I just went! It was really odd to travel that far by myself. But with a little help from Michael Buble and Glenn Beck, my Itouch and I took off and arrived at Sundance just fine! Oh and Happy Birthday Katy!! hee hee hee...

my fabulous sister Katy! Happy birthday Katy!

Katy and I went to a TJed retreat for moms. TJed are the principles that I use to base our home around. You can read about it here. Or you can read this book.

The retreat was amazing. Although it was geared towards homechooling moms, it was really things that every mom would benefit from. I had some great "Ah-ha" moments and some big "saygobedo's" that I am pursuing. Woo!

One thing that I LOVED reading was this: Parenting Pyramid from the Arbiger Institute. It has some profound insights to parenting. I have read it before, but this time I learned new things from it. I recommend it to everyone!! :-)

A few more notes...
*Help things go right.
*Our first job as a mom is to heal, build and nourish relationships.
*Kids won't learn from you if they don't like you!

(I am not a very good self portrait taker...Jenn I need some lessons!!)

*Effective teaching depends on the quality of the relationship.--without a good relationshiop, you cannot teach effectively.
*Quality of the relationships in the family is largley dependant on the relationship with our spouse.
*Our personal way of "being' directly effects the rest of the family.
*It is not enough to do your best, you have to learn what to do and THEN do your best.
*Look beautiful as often as you can--men (including husbands) are very visual.
*don't expect your husband to fullfill all of your conversational needs (I am laughing that I wrote that down!! Pretty obvious I know..lol..)
***The ONLY mortal that I will make covenants with is my husband.--I liked that one! :-)
*Read to teach, write to learn.
*Are you happy with the feeling in your home?-Focus on the feeling of your home. The feeling of the moment.

view from the front door...it was lovely!

**Don't let ANYTHING bug you! It is a choice! (as I type this my 4 year old is having a royal fit over going to bed..lol..and I'm not bugged...really...not yet....well maybe a minute....one second while I get this kid to bed!!!! AAHHH!!!)
*The children in your home is sacred.
*I need to host a southern Utah TJed retreat. hahaha..no joke...I am trying to find a place to host a one night getaway for about 40 moms in late September....any one have any ideas?????? (And yes I am crazy thank you very much!!)

Anyway, I have many more notes and personal insights. One of my favorite speakers was there. You might remember me posting about a family that took in some troubled teenagers for a week for a BBC program. That family was Nicholeen Peck's family. She has given me some transformational knowledge that has truly helped my family. She has given me vision and goals for my family and I will forever be greatful to her. She has a book out now too!! So everyone who is struggling with your kids...this is the book for you!!! She also has a blog HERE and an email letter that sends out great information as well.

--this is in day two with Nicholeen...I was not looking so bouncy as day one..lol..

And since she will probably never see this, I'll divulge this information..lol.. For those of you who know me, you know that I love to do handwriting analysis--I can read quite a few things from a signature. Well, I asked to see Nicholeen's signature (not an autograph..autographs are different!). Her signature was so in line with what she taught. She didn't have any temper ticks, she thinks a lot before she speaks, her husband is the leader in her home and she if very humble. I dare say that she has a better relationship with her family (her parents etc.) than her husbands. (But don't we all..lol...) I could say more, but I don't want to bore you...if you're still reading THAT in itself if a miracle!! Love you Nicholeen!! :-)

I had such a wonderful time with my sister. I MISS my family and it was so nice to spend a couple of days with her. I love you Katy!!! :-)
I came home really refreshed for my family. I haven't really been in a happy place lately and this really jump started my batteries. I am so blessed to have a husband who will support me to go to this retreat! He had a blast with the kids and the house was even CLEAN when I came home!! Cory you are the BEST! I love you!!

It was a great weekend. Now to read the dozen books I bought!

4 comments:

katydid said...

You rock, sista!
Just being with you is an inspiration. Love ya tons!
Katy

Nicholeen said...

Bonita,

I loved seeing you at Retreat too. It was so fun to be roomates with you two party animals!!! We really need to do it again soon. If you host a retreat in Southern Utah, I am in.

Oh, and thank you for that interesting reading of my name. It is amazing you can tell so much about me by looking how I write. I would love the full analysis if you have time. :)

Hugs,
Nicholeen

Shane and Brandi said...

What a fun weekend!

mr catch said...

I am trying not to be envious. Looks like a great time! I have loved that article (Arbinger Institute & Meridian Magazine) and pondered it since Diann Jeppson & Jodie Palmer introduced me to it a few years ago at a Seminar. Are they the ones who hosted the retreat? What are your plans in the making? LMK. Can't wait!
Connie