Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sweet Sixteen!

I cannot start a post about Luke turning 16 without a proper baby picture of him.  Luke was a very fussy baby. He didn't like to be held or comforted by his mom. He has always preferred to be independent and learn things on his own...the hard way. I love my Luke.

Last year Luke took a class about World War II. He loved it and has read many more books about WWII and the events surrounding it. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when he wanted to have a 1940's Dance Party for his 16th birthday party. What I was surprised was when I agreed that it would be fun!! I am not a party girl. My kids have had maybe one or two birthday parties. I love small gatherings, but more people then six and I'm suddenly a wall flower. But alas! We pressed forward and I became very excited for it.

For his birthday, we gave Luke some WWII memorabilia. He loved it! It suited him very well. As he called it "Real History!" Among the items were a ration card, various badges, pins and buttons. We also found the newspapers from after Pearl Harbor. So neat!
We decorated with flags, flag banners, lights and vintage posters.
 
We had some friends, who are dance instructors, teach the swing, foxtrot. They had the kids twirling around and dancing all over! Even Ben danced with all the girls!

My amazing mother in law found a 1936 car to display outside and it was the detail that made the party great! 




Luke dancing with his Grandma Sutton--who was born in the 40's so she was her own display. She kept up with all the kids on that dance floor!


Grandma dancing with her son...the biggest smile of the night!

Over 60+ kids! They were awesome!

Fun times!

Like sister like brother.

Y-M-C-A!

The clean up crew...we have so much fun anytime!!

Dance dance dance!!!!


 Happy birthday Luke!! I hope you'll never forget this even...cause I'll probably never do it again. Love you!


No comments: