Thursday, October 23, 2008

Taming of the Shrew

I have just finished reading the story Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare and have found myself utterly confused. Not only was I confused about how my entire bag of dark chocolate had disappeared, but I was confused about the story line and for the life of me I couldn’t fathom why in the world was I choosing to read Shakespeare. I don’t hate Shakespeare, but I have never had that burning desire to read anything by him, attend his plays, or to even try to understand him. The urge simply wasn’t there. So, as I have attempted to understand this complex plot of switching characters, who loves who, and a play within a play, I have tried to find something that would spark some sort of craving to enjoy more Shakespeare. It reminds me of the first time I tried dark chocolate. The first time I didn’t like it, but I had heard how good it was so I tried it again. The next time it wasn’t so bad. But by the third and fourth time, I had developed a longing for that sweet, bitter, intense long lasting flavor of dark chocolate. Milk Chocolate was not chocolaty enough for me, I needed MORE.

That is why I was grateful for the character of Kate in this play. She was the type of character that when you first meet her, she didn’t come across as a likeable character. Binding her sister up and slapping everyone who crosses you, isn’t the best way to make a good impression. But, nonetheless, that was her choice of reputation. She was harsh, difficult to be around, and an overall not somebody that you would want to be around upon meeting. It reminded me of my attitude towards Shakespeare. She continued to be like this until someone was determine enough to find her otherwise. Petruchio’s first design may have been about the dowry he would have received, however, upon further study, he was able to have an enjoyable woman that was tamed to his preference.

I still don’t understand everything that happened in the play within the play, however if compare it to my favorite dark chocolate, I think I will be able to take another bite and enjoy it a little more. I will savor this bite and continue to try to understand it. Then I will take another and another small bite until I am able to find the intensity of Shakespeare that I can understand and enjoy.