Monday, October 13, 2008

Tonights dinner...


Ok tonights dinner was a huge success...even Ben had 3 bowls of it. :-D And Cory gave me a big thumbs up. So, I thought I'd share....

Cheesy Corn Chowder--from my Taste of Home magazine June 2008

6 bacon strips chopped
3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups chopped potatoes
2 cups sliced fresh carrots
2 tsp chicken bouillon
3 cans gold and white corn, drained
1/2 tsp pepper
7 tablespoons all purpose flour
5 cups milk
3 cops shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)

In Dutch oven, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until onion is tender. Add the water, potatoes, carrots and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Stir in corn and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses; cook and stir until cheeses are melted.

Side note...we used canned potatoes and instead of the carrots and corn we used a bag of mixed frozen vegetables (those that were on sale this last week..lol..) Plus we didn't have that much shredded cheese , but it still was a very rich soup. My tummy is quite full..lol.. Not a recipe for the dieter.

ENJOY!


4 comments:

Shane and Brandi said...

That sounds wonderful. I am going to try that in this cold weather. thanks!

Kendra said...

Yum! Is the picture on the blog from tonight?

Bonita said...

Heck no!..lol..the picture is from the Taste of Home website, i don't have any dishes that pretty..lol..

mr catch said...

I love Taste of Home! You should try Cream Cheese Sheet Cake.It's my all time favorite! Not for the faint of heart. It's made with mostly eggs and cream cheese. It's divine! I will have to look up the issue but I know it's on the site. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm