Thursday, September 16, 2010

The power of prayer and email

Have you ever had a prayer answered through someone else? I mean, something totally and completely unrelated to what was actually happening around you and then out of the blue-a different prayer was answered.

I had this experience this week and I wanted to share it.

Some of you may know the difficulties I have in September. It was in September that I was attacked and raped when I was in college. --Even typing it out it still brings me a flutter of anxiety. For the last few years September has been pretty mild. There have been moments of anxiety and panic but, really, it has been mild. In the past I would be practically paralyzed with fear and anxiety. Thankfully I have a very supportive husband, family, and friends who have helped me get past these dark days.

This year was a little different. This year I am helping my husband prepare for his senior project which is a day of awareness for sexual assault victims. So, as you can imagine, this has brought all sorts of healing opportunities for me...lol..

The other morning was a particular difficult morning (it was "the day" that it happened). I was finding myself giving into the anxiety and the desire to stay in bed. It felt like a dark, heavy weight pressing on me. I had so much to accomplish that day and I was caving into the negative feelings. Cory was at school and I couldn't get myself to call anyone. I felt I was on my own to deal with this. Thankfully it wasn't so bad that I felt I could still pray.

Sometimes prayer to me is like breakfast. My day goes so much better when I pray in the morning. Well, that particular morning it was all I could do to plead to my Heavenly Father to not forget me that day. I didn't need a big sign from the heaven, the walls of Jericho didn't need to come down for me (there have been times when I did need that, but that is a different story), I just needed to be reminded of the peace that I had felt in the past, so that I would remember that I could get through this day.

Well. I stayed in bed. I decided to check my email since I was expecting some emails for various reasons. I grabbed my itouch and promptly got back into bed.

I recieved an email from a gal that I have only met once or twice. She is a leader in the homeschooling world and was replying to me about something completely unrelated. I have never shared with her my story. So I was a little taken back when her email felt so direct. This is part of what she said: "I hope you will see and feel how you have grown and benefited from this experience. I understand that it is painful and hard....For me, I am certain that every time I step out and work to create something bigger than myself it feels hard and painful and many times I cry out and wonder why in the world I do it. Always there come a moment when the Spirit consoles me and shows me that it was worth it. I am praying that you will have this as well."

For me, it was just what I needed. It was a reminder of how far I have come. I made it through the day with minimal anxiety and today I feel like myself again.

I am so grateful for those in my life who follow the spirit daily. Sometimes we forget how much our obedience to the spirit can bless others. It can be easy to get wound up in how much it can bless our own life.

3 comments:

keri said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I admire you so much Bonita.
On another note, I would so trade for pink sugar.

Shane and Brandi said...

Bonita- I feel the same as Keri. I admire anyone who can get past something like that and move on. You are amazing! Know you can call me anytime when you need to. I can come over and bring you chocolate!

Jeannetta said...

You are amazing :) I can't even fathom what you are dealing with, and how much it has altered your life.
You have my love <3