Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Family Prayers

I wanted to share what we have added to our Family Home Evening. Cory and I noticed that prayers in our family were getting redundant. They went something like this "Thank thee today was a good day. Please help us sleep good tonight. Please help tomorrow be a good day."
I really hope that we're not the only ones with family prayers sounding like that!
Our Family Prayer board helps us to remember what we're thankful for and blessings we are praying for.
Last fall at my retreat that I host, one of our presenters spoke about keeping track of what you wanted to pray for. Her memory is something like mine. At 3pm I would think of something that I wanted to pray for but by the time evening prayers come around, I would have forgotten. She suggested a notebook for personal use to keep track. I decided to use this with my family.

I purchased a picture frame, with glass, from the DI.  Then I printed a simple page to be placed  in the frame. I also found some dry erase markers to write on the glass. I love it when its simple!

Now, during Family Home Evening, we discuss what we would like on the prayer board. We can add anytime during the week. Then, at prayer time, the board is placed by whomever is saying the prayer. They take a moment to look over the list and then the prayer is said. We're even ok if they have to peek a little to help them pray. Its not a deciding list of what we pray for, but it is helping us think of other things to be said in our prayers.
Anyhoo, I just thought I'd share!


1 comment:

Jeannetta said...

What a fabulous idea! I wish I had kids at home to do this with. I feel a "grandma" craft coming in my future :)

How are you? It's been ages! I tried to find you on Facebook a little while ago, and came up empty. <3