Thursday, March 26, 2009

And more groceries...

So I've been feeling guilt over my groceries (you know me, always looking for a reason to feel guilty). I look at my pantry and everything is in a cardboard box....hamburger helper, instant potatoes. cake mix, instant oatmeal, granola bars, not to mention all of the cereal...all processed food in a box. OK maybe not all..I do have some in cans. :-) My guilt is over the amount of processed food that we now consume. Before I started ultra couponing, I would make homemade stroganauf instead of the stroganauf that comes in a box or I would make homemade stew instead of stew in a can. I am spending about the same amount of money, except now my pantry has much more food in it. So I feel a conflict here. The last couple of weeks I have tried to stock up on items that I use in recipes so that I can have some sort of a balance. I stocked up on pasta, butter, cheese, eggs, potatoes and more fruits instead of fruit snacks. This week I still saved a good amount--not as much as in the past, but I am still happy with it considering I had a different focus in mind. I still bought those evil capt crunch cereals . --I still have some capt crunch coupons and some life coupons if anyone wants them.

Here is some of my savings...

8 boxes of Life cereal
72 string cheeses
2 dozen eggs
5 lbs apples
4 lbs bananas
5 bags of tortilla chips
5 captain crunch
8 Fiber granola bars
6 Pace salsa ($4 each and I got them free!! YEAH!)
10 bottles of suave body wash
3 lbs of butcher bacon
4 wheat thins
6 boxes of taco shells
3 capri sun
2 ball park franks
3 packages of hot dogs
2 lbs of cheese
5 refried beans


Total Spent: $117.04
Total Saved: $199.44

These groceries will feed my entire family for the weekend. (Woo hoo!! All of my sisters, brother and parents plus the nieces and nephews. :-D )I don't think I'll need to go to the store for anything. This total does not include what I purchased at Lins. I was able to get 8 lbs of London broil to cut into steaks for my family this weekend. I was also able to purchase 10 lbs of day old ground beef at 1.29 a pound (it was regularly 2.99 a pound). Plus buns and marinades. I spent 39.75 at Lins but I'm not smart enough to figure out the savings.

8 comments:

keri said...

I love saving money. Great job. How did you get the pace for free? WHat coupons did you use?

Bonita said...

I found the pace coupons on the Money Saving Mom blog--i believe its on your site. :-D

Kendra said...

I have been thinking on some of the same lines you have. My pantry is FULL and I need to change the focus of my grocery purchases. Hamburger helper is just not that good, let alone good for you!

Shane and Brandi said...

Great Job!

Nate and Sum said...

Bonita thanks for the salt post. Adalyn spilled some bubbles on the ground the other day, and I was like great... what should I do? Then I remembered your post and I poured salt all over the ground. It worked! I now love salt too.

keri said...

Thanks for the coupons. I stocked up on the Quaker sale.

Brett and Tiffany said...

Bonita, I found your blog through Shannon's blog. I thought I would let you know that Jamie Clark that we went to school with passed away this weekend. I don't know a lot of details, but her funeral will be on Friday in Idaho Falls. Very sad! It is great to read about your cute family.

Shan Reid said...

I just LOVE the picture on your header of you and your cute baby... so so sweet! I need to start doing some more coupon collecting... You have got it down! Great job!