Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day three of our trip

On Wednesday we traveled to Mesa Verde. It was about an hour from where we were staying. It was a beautiful drive. The view was very impressive. Mesa Verde was SPECTACULAR! It was amazing to learn about these dwellings and how they were built in the middle of nowhere! I thought that the top of the mesa was great and would have been a fabulous to live on, but they insisted on building them on the cliffs below the mesa. INSANE! I'm sure they had their reasons...but who knows what they are! I was only aware of Cliff Palace at Mesa verde but there were many many dwellings built into the sides of the cliffs. We were able to hike two of them; Cliff palace and Spruce Tree House. We were able to drive around and look at the different places also. We didn't get to most of the park because it was so huge, but what we did see was amazing!


The hike down to the cliff palace at Mesa Verde was I believe about 1/4 of a mile. It was mostly stairs but not to difficult. Of course, I made sure I had Ben so that I could walk the pace of a two year old...which can either be at running speed or really slow...depending on the moment. We also visited the musuem which was FULL of exibits about the Anasazi native americans and




Down in Cliff Palace








At the kiva in Spruce Tree.



1 comment:

Jenny B said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! My family visited Mesa Verde and Four Corners on one of our "Spud Harvest" trips. That is when my family traveled-everyone in the country was in school so it was a great time to visit tourist places.