Sunday, January 2, 2011

Adventures in rug making.

This year, for my sisters and moms I made rugs. Yep! Rugs. I know it sounds kinda drab but I was so excited to make them. I saw them being made at our local Peach Days last fall and I really wanted one for myself. So, in order to justify myself purchasing a loom, I decided to make one for my sisters and moms. Little did I know what I was getting myself into!!!


The loom itself would be fairly simple to make. It was made of 1x4s then there were nails 1" apart. Cory could have easily made one, but it was nice to just be able to pick it up all done.




The rugs were much more labor intensive then I had planned. Its a good thing I am pretty much anti-social. :-D I worked on them for about 4 hours a day and I would finish after about a week. I used 3 sheets for the "weft"-that's the fabric that goes left to right. And about 5 yars of fabric for the "warp." We would roll the warp into a giant ball. (Which instantly became a toy.) My boys and hubby were my official fabric rippers and I would scour the DI for sheets and large pieces of fabric to use. The process is called "twining." This website I referred to many times. It has great visuals. I also used the book Twined Rag Rugs from the library.



I loved making the rugs! I ended up making six rugs in two months. It was insanity! However, I did get to watch A Christmas Carol (my FAVORITE Christmas show!!) multiple times. I hope everyone who received one loves them like I do.

If anyone would like to learn how to twine...come on over!




Now to make one for me!!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Cute, Bonita! Great job!

Shan Reid said...

I love those Bonita! If I was still in Southern Utah I would be coming over for a lesson!

keri said...

super cute.